At Broadway Junior School all children follow a broad and balanced curriculum that includes the ten National Curriculum subjects and religious education.
In line with government guidelines more emphasis is given to English, mathematics, science, and I.T. Our broad and balanced curriculum also includes design and technology, history, geography, art and design, music, physical education, French and personal social and health education.
Through the implementation of regular art lessons and cross curricular links it is our intent that all children learn to:
- Find enjoyment in art and creativity.
- Hold a positive self-image and confidence.
- Discover a sense of purpose and fulfilment in artistic expression.
- Appreciate a wide range of artists and art works.
- Experiment with a range of media.
- Use a range of materials and techniques competently.
- Develop their observation and description skills.
- Express ideas and feelings through creative work and in both two and three dimensions.
- Value and respect their work and the work of others.
- Discuss their work using appropriate vocabulary.
- We regard art as an important subject because:
- Artistic creation can provide fulfilment throughout life.
- Artistic observation can heighten perceptions.
- Art can contribute to cultural understanding.
Art is an integral part of the school curriculum that should be embedded into all subject areas and have a positive impact on children’s learning and development.