As part of our Accessibility Plan, in addition to addressing pupil and staff needs, we recognise our responsibility towards Parents/Carers with disabilities and the improvement of communication and access to services related to the education of their child.
The Disability Discrimination Act
Generally, the parts of the Disability Discrimination Act relevant to schools relate to pupils with disabilities. However, many services provided by a school do not relate directly to your child's education, but are considered a 'service to the public'. Broadway Junior School will make reasonable adjustments to procedures and policies or provide Parents/Carers with disabilities with aids to help you access services and to enable you to be fully involved in your child's education.
How Broadway Junior School can support Parents/Carers with disabilities
We encourage you to contact your child's teacher to let them know what support you need, to help with and supervise homework.
If you are blind or partially-sighted, the school can:
- Make reasonable steps to provide information in alternative formats such as large print. (Notice is provided for this service)
- Accept verbal communication in response to school procedures.
If you are deaf or hearing impaired, the school can:
If you have impaired mobility, the school can:
- Arrange a British Sign Language interpreter for any meetings or visits to the school about your child’s education. If you require this service, please provide at least two weeks' notice.
- Allow more time for one-to-one meetings.
- Use a pen and notepad to communicate if required.
- Provide a script of a school performance to help follow the action.
- Provide induction loops in meeting rooms.
- Update you on your child's progress by telephone or email if you are unable to go to a meeting because of an impairment.
- Hold a meeting in an accessible location.
- Assign a member of staff to be responsible for meeting your access needs when you visit the school.
- Allow a Parent/Carer with disabilities to be accompanied by their support and assistance dog.
- Provide disabled parking bays.
Review Date: October 2022.
To view the full Accessibilty Report for Broadway Junior School, please click here >>